The Blogger development team is constantly updating new features for Google Blogger Blog. Among these, HTTPS support is a very important feature in custom domains. In October 2015, Google introduced HTTPS for Blogspot domain users only. In this case, those who were using custom domains could not take advantage of this.
After a long wait, HTTPS launched for custom domains in the last week of November 2016. However, Google has not yet made an official announcement in this regard, so it has been delayed to share the post on our blog. I wanted to make a post about this after the Google official announcement.
Since it has been almost 3 months since HTTPS was launched, Custom Domain users have already launched this service on their blog. We welcome those who have been able to launch this service. Those who have not yet launched will be able to fully enable HTTPS for their blog after reading our post.
You can also learn more about the effects of HTTPS on SEO, including the many advantages and disadvantages of HTTPS from today’s post. Note that if you have no idea about HTTPS, you can find out from our previous post.
What are the benefits of HTTPS?
It is very important to keep the security system of any website strict. For that, if HTTPS of the blog is turned on, some additional benefits can be taken from the visitors including search engine. Below we highlight some of the important benefits of HTTPS in the form of points.
- Search ranking increase: Google Mama is very wise and omniscient. He has a thorough knowledge of everything and evaluates everything in that proportion and determines the search ranking. In this case, since HTTPS is a secure service, Google will give importance to such blogs in terms of search ranking. Moreover, search engine reviews have shown that blogs / websites of HTTPS users are ranked on the 1st page of Google search results.
- Visitor Security : Using HTTPS will allow you to provide a fully secure certificate to your blog’s visitors. Because using HTTPS will not allow anyone to steal or misuse your visitor information.
- Increase Traffic: Since both search engines and visitors will value HTTPS blogs, there will be an increase in organic traffic from search engines as well as an increase in page views from visitors.
- Professional Look: Usually the browsers show the green Secure Connection icon at the beginning of the HTTPS blog address, so it looks very interesting. In this case, the acceptance of your blog will increase in all quarters.
- Page Speed Increase: Many experienced webmasters say that the introduction of HTTPS increases the speed of blogs / websites. However, I did not find the truth of this matter. If any of you find out the truth, please let me know in the comments.
What are the disadvantages of HTTPS?
Every action in the world has action and reaction. Similarly HTTPS also has some temporary disadvantages. You can solve these problems and get rid of all the hassles: You can enjoy the benefits of HTTPS.
- The first problem is that if your blog is old, you will have problems with mixed content. However, this will not be a problem if the blog is after 2015.
- After re-submitting to Google Webmaster Tools, the blog traffic may decrease significantly until the post is indexed.
- Google may take a long time to index old posts considering new posts.
- The count of likes and shares on social media will start anew, so the old likes and shares will drop.
- Google AdSense ads may not show up properly.
What is the difference between HTTPS and HTTP?
Generally, no distinction can be made between HTTPS and HTTP. However, if we go a little deeper into the matter, we can understand the difference between its external and internal. Below we highlight the main differences between the two for your convenience.
- HTTPS is completely secure while HTTP is not secure!
- The Google search engine offers some additional benefits that HTTP does not.
- HTTPS browser has green symbol while HTTP has Info symbol.
- Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
- HTTPS is not available for free in all cases but HTTP is always free.
How to enable HTTPS in Blogger Custom Domain?
If you are still using Google Blogspot’s free domain, check out our previous post. From there you can turn on HTTPS for your free domain. However, if you are using a custom domain, follow our steps.
- Login to the blog first.
- Then click on Settings Option from Blogger Dashboard to see the image below.
- If you select Yes from HTTPS> HTTPS Availability in the image above, the option will be activated.
- If you select Yes from HTTPS Redirect in the image above, all the links in your blog will be automatically redirected from HTTP to HTTPS.
What to do after enabling HTTPS?
If you do not show Secure on the left side of the address of your blog after enabling this option, you must understand that your blog has HTTPS and HTTP Mixed Content . In addition to these, there are some other things that you must do. If not here’s a new product just for you!
- If the site had been submitted to Google Webmaster Tools, it would have been deleted and re-submitted. If you do not do this, Google will be confused about the link to your blog.
- If you are using Google Gnalytics , you will need to delete the previous one and submit a new HTTPS version.
- If you are using Google Custom Search Box, you will need to delete the previous one and submit the new HTTPS version again.
- The Robot.txt file inside the blog dashboard also needs to be HTTPS.
- If you are using Google AdSense, you will need to make some changes to show AdSense if it does not show ads.
I have tried to explain all the problems related to HTTPS as well as complete solutions. If you do not understand a step, you can let us know in the comments or give some constructive advice. We would take your advice along with the solution to your problem: We will try to write and share articles better in the future.